The Chief Product Officer’s role is to ensure the successful execution of the company’s product mission through development and deployment of the company’s web and apps platforms. This requires envisioning the company’s service offerings as a web-based business, leading the product team in the implementation of applications and features, and planning for risk, monetisation, and growth. The CPO is therefore responsible for the strategic product direction - including product vision, product innovation, product design, product development, project management, and product marketing.
In a nutshell, a CPO leads a product management (PM) team in building great products that deliver sustainable value to the business. From the early stages of developing a new product concept to beyond product launch, a CPO balances the needs and goals of both the product and the business. You will make sure services and product offerings are all functioning supremely well, and you will possess keen leadership and organisational skills, a sharp and creative mind, and a successful track record of managing and motivating product teams.
- The product strategy, identifying the target market, customer segments and unique selling points that our product suite needs to deliver in order to succeed. You would also identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services as a web-based business, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business success.
- Management of company staff or outsourced vendors who will implement the application.
- To lead and coach a high-performing team of Product and Designers to run effective products that deliver customer and business value. You will also be expected to help grow this team.
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behaviour that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately, and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, office networks and computers, and telecommunications.
- In collaboration with the CTO and MLRO, direct development and execution of a company-wide information security and disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Responsibility for the company’s software revision and deployment processes as well as for the data privacy and security. • The product and customer development process for the company as a whole, helping your teams to test hypotheses, break down complex problems and ensure good feedback loops are in place.
- Help set up our business units for success, making sure we define goals to be achieved, build a team of internal and external hires, assign responsibility, and deliver on commitments.
- Development of roadmaps (they have several products at different stages which you will oversee).
- Communicate the company’s product strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Establish and supervise quality assurance processes, including integration and system testing.
- Review and approve proposed development releases and manage the release process.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices by attending relevant conferences and reading.
- Help to develop, track, and control the development and deployment annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Supervise recruitment, training, retention, and organization of all product team staff.
- Establish standards of performance and monitor performance for staff (through performance review) and vendors (through service level agreements).
- Input into finance (P&L management), Marketing, strategy, hiring plans, and other departments where reasonably required.
- Have led products across all stages of the product life cycle, and have ideally worked in a fast paced, high-growth environment.
- Have experience in the B2C and B2B sectors, specifically something finance-related (challenger banks, payments, fintech, etc.).
- Have grown product teams from a small number to double figures.
- Be happy with a "handson" role in the early days, until the team has been built out further.
- Whilst being hands-on, be able to step back and be involved with the CEO and Founders on the highest level of strategy for the business.
- 12-15 years of experience in Product development roles.
- At least 5 years in a very senior capacity.
- Very good level of technical understanding.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Working knowledge of Islamic markets and products is a very strong bonus.